Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dye job

These are the diapers I dyed up. I used Dylon dye. Each package is supposed to dye a half pound of dry material. But when you finish up your first batch, you can put more items in the dye bath and get a lighter color. That's what I did with the purple and the orange (though the second orange turned a little peachy). I have one more batch dyed, but I still need to wash them up. It's olive green. I was worried the items would come out too green, so I think I put about a pound of diapers and shirts in the dye bath.

Mary helped me fold and sort this stuff this morning. When she saw the shirts, she said "oh, those are really small." Yeah. I don't think she's ever seen a newborn. At least not lately. I think she thinks her 10 month old cousin Lucas is a "baby." Anyway, here are the shirts.

The one on the bottom of the pile (top of pic) is actually a second batch from the light green. It's interesting how it turned out a light teal color instead of light lime. I just try to go with the flow with dyes. I never know what I am going to get. This is my first time dyeing cotton, but I've dyed wool yarn many, many times.

I got a ring sling custom ordered this morning. One more thing off the list. This afternoon we are going on a tour of the hospital. I altered the diaper pattern I had downloaded and finally made a diaper that should fit an actual baby. I think I'll make a couple more of those and then put the sewing machine away. Our dining room has been my sewing room for way too long.

35 days to go!

2 comments:

Mimi-n-Moe's Mom said...

35 days! wow! it has gone fast! :)
can't wait to see pics!

Jes said...

the dye job came out great!

like the new blog colors, by the way. :)