Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dresser/TV stand before

Mom saw the dresser. I believe she said "oh." That's fine though. I know will be awesome when it's done.


I love the lines and the shape. I got the hardware off and sanded it down this morning. It smelled like an old lady, but in a really good way. There's some vintage contact paper in the drawers. I'll be leaving it. It reminds me of my Great Grandmother Ethel. As I sanded, I wondered who had owned it, which drawer held what, and what happened to the owner. You can tell from the picture that the drawers have been opened and closed a million times. I think it was well loved in its former life. I'm glad I rescued it.

This afternoon, I primed:


And it looks a thousand times better already.

John took the rails and stoppers for the top drawers out. Those drawers won't be going back in. That's where the DVR and DVD player will sit.


So I primed into those areas where the actual wood is and it will be painted. In the middle drawer area, I think I'll stick a basket or something that can hold the remotes or other junk. The bottom 6 drawers will go back in and will hold our DVD collection.

I have no idea what color to paint it. We cannot get new living room furniture right now. So, do I paint it some random color and wait to get furniture, or try to match it to what we have? Hmmm. I'm thinking a light color since the room is so small. I'd also like to use paint we already have. I'd love to mix up a light blue gray. Or maybe a bit brighter....towards turquoise? OR maybe a really light olive green on the gray-ish side. Gray with a hint of green? That would match. I'm leaning towards the blue though (Ethel's favorite color was blue. She also loved to paint things. Oh my, the layers of paint on everything in her house!). The hardware will be spray painted oil rubbed bronze. It will be next weekend before I can paint again I think.

John is over at his Mom's with the girls. I should be cleaning. The house is a mess. But instead I'm sitting here enjoying the peace and quiet while blogging and Nascar. Life is feeling pretty darn good right now.

4 comments:

Mimi-n-Moe's Mom said...

...it smells like an old lady,but in a really good way.

wow. i'll let you know if i ever smell that smell without going "YUCK-O!!"

I have dresser envy, btw...we reeeeallly need a dresser for Miles....I want that changing table gone!!

that dresser will be nice. i assume you are gonna have a big tv?

Mimi-n-Moe's Mom said...

paint it blue. it will be cheery.

Anonymous said...

I have the matching tall-boy dresser for that! My parents got it to match an older, more squared-off antique white set :)

I think it's going to be great! I cant wait to see...then I may have to do re-finish my tall boy. :right:

Mo said...

I love what you're doing with the dresser!